My dear friend Paul Zweben (@hungrydomaine) asked for me to share this recipe. I get rave reviews so try the recipe out.
The secret is to make sure the meatballs stay intact when you brown them. Carefully drop them into your sauce pot (I use my electric Cuisanart Pressure cooker on the “simmer” setting).
- 2 lbs Meatloaf blend (pork/beef/veal ground meat)
- 2 pieces of sliced bread (whole wheat) edges cut off
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (for coating before browning)
- Vegetable oil (for browning)
Makes around 28 small meatballs
- (3) 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- Diced onion, carrot, celery (I buy the already chopped from Whole Foods or Trader Joes) about 1/2 cup each
- dash of Balsmic
- dash of red pepper
Get sauce going: Saute vegetables in olive oil for 20 minutes (low-med). Add tomatoes and season with other ingredients to taste.
Heat milk in small sauce pan. Add bread and simmer for 5 minutes.Let bread mixture cool. Mash up with a fork.
Mix first 8 ingredients. Combine with your hands, don’t overwork. Form meatballs (not too big) and be careful not to pack them (think light and fluffy!). Roll meatballs in breadcrumbs and place on a baking rack.
Heat oil in large pan with high sides. Add oil (1.5 inches in depth minimum). Brown meatballs, turning gently.
Add browned meatballs to sauce in batches carefully. Simmer on low for at least 2 hours.